Skip to main content

Making Homebrew Beer

My husband and I have been making beer for a few years now and once we get into a routine its pretty easy to keep up a plentiful supply of nice tasting beer. We don't drink heaps, but its nice to have some there when you feel like it and I HATE throwing out cans and bottles all the time.


"[I recommend]… bread, meat, vegetables and beer."

-Sophocles' philosophy of a moderate diet
For a good explanation of the general beer making process see this website, I'm just going to explain what we do, but there are lots of different options to suit different timetables and budgets.  We use a keg system, so that we don't have to clean lots of bottles.  We have two fermenters and usually put down two brews at a time.  We use the big cans of concentrated malt extract and 1 kg bags of dextrose (one day if we have the time and energy, we'd like to try starting from the raw grains, but in the meantime, the cans work really well).  We currently have an ale bubbling in the kitchen and a lager bubbling in the bathroom (suits cold temperature, great for winter), and we make a couple of brews every few weeks, depending on demand.

We have two kegs and a modified bar fridge to keep them cold (hole drilled in the side to put the gas tube through - be careful doing the drilling, the first one worked out fine, but the second one was less successful - the fridge now needs to be re-gassed!).


The basic steps are:
  1. Clean EVERYTHING with mild bleach and hot water (we use the bath as we don't have a decent big tub!!).  This is where some people go wrong.  If everything isn't perfectly clean you can contaminate the brew and end up with that yucky home-brew taste.  We find that if everything is clean the beer comes out tasting great (even nicer than the bought stuff), and that's where it helps to have the kegs instead of lots of bottles to clean!
  2. Boil the jug, tip the dextrose into the fermenter and tip in the boiled water, stir thoroughly
  3. Open the can and tip into the fermenter, use hot tap water to rinse out the can and transfer the water to the fermenter
  4. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature in the fermenter and top up with hot/cold water until you reach 20 L at the right temperature (depends on the tap water temperature and the beer)
  5. Put the lid on tight, put some water in the u-tube and wait about a week, the beer should start bubbling in a few hours (lager takes a little longer if you're using a proper larger yeast at low temperature)
  6. Clean the keg, transfer the brew to the keg, chill in the fridge and then pressurise with food-grade carbon dioxide (we like to leave the lager in the fridge in a clean jerry-can to clarify for a couple of weeks before transferring to the keg, we also let it ferment a little longer as larger yeast is slower growing)
  7. Pour beer into jug and enjoy!

We have two fermenters and usually make two brews at a time

One of our kegs ready to go in the fridge
and a jerry can full of lager to be largered!
The empty cans are GREAT, we use them for everything - to hold pegs, to store nuts and and bolts, paint tins, feed bin scoops, grass seed scoops, to store dog biscuits while travelling - we have heaps of them now, so they are very useful and there's nothing to throw away :)


Do you make your own beer?  What system do you use?

Comments

  1. I just found your blog through The Greening of Rose. i think I am going to enjoy following your journey to self sufficiency. Love the idea of brewing beer...maybe in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting. I love the way you guys try your hand at so many different things. Life must be such an adventure for you! I'm not really a beer drinker, but I'm sure Paul would prefer if I made it to kefir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been giving trying to home brew some thought... love the local micro brews in Seattle, but they're expensive...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg