Skip to main content

Drying herbs

Over summer, I have such an abundance of herbs, its hard to believe that in winter they will all die back and I'll have to resort to using bought dried herbs again.  This year I had a plan, I wanted to dry my own herbs, the aim was herb self-sufficiency!


I had borrowed an Excalibur drier from a friend a few years ago and managed to dry some parsley, as well as tomatoes and apples, before I gave it back.  Our thoughts on this drier were that it was HUGE and loud, but very efficient at drying.  With our small kitchen, and an aim to mainly dry herbs rather than worrying about fruit (as we don't have access to any cheap/free fruit at the moment), I wanted to use something smaller (and therefore cheaper).

I did have a very brief  attempt at air drying herbs, but in our humid climate, all I achieved was mouldy leaves!

As an early Christmas present for myself I bought the Sunbeam food dehydrator in December.

Sunbeam food dehydrator - "healthy and natural snacks"!
I decided to start with the sage plant as it was in need of a good trim anyway.  It turns out that herbs actually grow better if they are pruned regularly, however its difficult to use all that summer growth and in the past much of it has ended up in the compost, or the herbs have been scragly, woody and out of control!
Sage before...
....and after the trimming
First I washed the leaves, then spun them in the lettuce spinner, then arranged them in the drier......

Washing the sage leaves

Spinning the sage leaves
Loading the dehydrator

Running the dehydrator

The instruction booklet that came with the drier recommended 2-4 hours for drying herbs.  After 4 hours the leaves were still not dry.  At 9pm on the day of drying (having started around 10am), the leaves were still not dry!  Now I'm not complaining, because I knew that I wasn't buying the best dehydrator on the market, I just wanted something that would get the job done eventually.  I don't think I'll ever use it for fruit (although that uses a higher temperature setting, so it might work quicker).

Anyway, I turned off the dehydrator overnight and left the leaves in there to continue drying, then I turned it on for a few hours the next day until the leaves were dry.  I wanted them to be crumbly dry, so that they would keep for a long time.

Having dried a large jar of sage, I decided to try oregano.  This time I washed and spun the leaves the day before I put them in the dehydrator, so they were not as damp when I started the drier.  I also used fewer leaves and so only needed 3 trays in the drier.  I left the leaves on the stalks (as suggested by the user manual).  This time drying didn't take quite so long, but was still run over a few afternoons until I was satisfied with the results.  I can't decide whether leaving the stalks is a good idea, as that just seems like more plant material to dry and it can be more work to remove the dried leaves.

My plan is to keep drying herbs so that I have a good supply over winter and so that the herbs keep growing well over summer (with regular trims).  So far I've dried oregano, basil, sage, thyme and mint.

The herbs I've dried so far....
and then I tried silverbeet, not sure what I'll use it for, but why not?

Do you dry your own herbs?  Or other foods?

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg