Skip to main content

Soaked flour pizza bases

Occasionally we feel like pizza, be we don't like takeaway pizza because we don't really know what's in it or on it and we usually end up feeling ill after eating it.  Homemade pizza is a bit of work, its very messy when we make it (because we usually make a few at a time because when you're cutting up all those toppings you may as well make more than one), there always seems to be flour all around the kitchen when we've finished, but its worth it for all that delicious pizza.

I've experimented with a few different bases.  I used to use a simple homemade pastry, which was a nice thin base, but then I started baking my own bread, and now we use the same recipe to make the pizza bases.  I shared my bread recipe recently on Wholefood Mama's blog, for the pizza bases I leave out the sunflower and chia seeds, but I do use some wholemeal flour, as we like the flavour.  One batch of dough makes four pizzas, so we can have pizza for lunch for a few days.  We bake the pizza in our Weber BBQ on a pizza stone.



For pizza toppings, we use the opportunity to use up whatever is in the fridge or freezer.  Usually we pile on far to much, even when we are trying not to!  Some suggestions:
  • Tomato paste for the sauce (I know people make fancy sauces, homemade chutney is delicious, I would use that if I had it!)
  • Garlic, onoin and herbs (especially basil and oregano)
  • Ham or bacon
  • Salami or wurst or sausage or any other leftover meat
  • Tomato slices or cherry tomatoes
  • Capsicum
  • Mushroom
  • Olives
  • Homemade cheese
  • Pineapple (fresh or canned)
Do you make pizza?  Any tips?

Comments

  1. Yes we make pizza. Sometimes just a simple base but most often sour dough. We add toppings of whatever we have available. Summers the best for me with tomatoes and capsicum and basil pesto. I love it when we have our own cheese to add to the toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making pizzas, and will make a double batch of the pizza dough, and then tons of different toppings. It is great for when we have all the family around. I bought one of those pizza grillers at a garage sale and it makes a nice pizza, although I have to find a better way of putting the pizza onto the hot stone. So far I find it better to put the dough onto it and add the toppings in situ. You have to be quick. How do you move your pizza onto the hot stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two round pizza trays and we make the pizza on the tray and put the whole thing on the stone. I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do, but it works!

      Delete
  3. I use non-stick baking paper - putting the pizza dough on it and then the toppings and when the stone is hot I transfer the pizza to stone holding opposite corners of the baking paper. Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have some pizza trays picked up at a garage sale. There is a photo and our toppings at http://homehillfarm.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/sourdough-pizza-sourdough-biscuits-diet.html
    Pizza is a terribly dangerous food. Firstly the dough recipe always makes more than one base and secondly who has ever stopped at one slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like pizza is a popular dish with a few others as well....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg