Skip to main content

How to avoid soaping mistakes **AND my soap eBook!**

I'm not saying that I never make soaping mistakes, but I have figured out how to get my recipes right 99% of the time.  I am on a soapmaking group on FB and every day or so someone will post that they forgot to add an oil or a butter to the recipe, or wondering why the soap hasn't turned out right.  I am surprised because I don't have this much trouble.  Here are three tips from my experience with soapmaking that will help you to avoid soaping mistakes:



Accurate scales
You can skimp on all equipment except for scales.  It is absolutely important to have stable and accurate scales so that you can measure exactly the right amount of fats/oils and caustic.  One of the biggest causes of soaping mistakes is inaccurate measurement of oils or caustic, which results in incomplete reaction and soap that turns out too soft (or too caustic/ high pH).


Keep it simple
The more complicated your recipe, the easier it is to make a mistake, leave something out or measure something incorrectly.  My simplest soap recipes is just tallow, caustic and water, and all my recipes build from there.  I have seen recipes with several oils and butters, I don't know if they really change the final soap, but they certainly add to the complexity (and expense).  As a beginner, start simple and get some practice before trying a recipes with a long list of ingredients.





Batch sheets
Each time I make soap I write or print the recipe with the ingredients in the order I will use them.  I get all the ingredients out on the bench and set them out in order.  I then tick off each ingredient as I use it.  This way you can't forget an ingredient or get the amount wrong, as I am carefully following the recipe.  You can also double-check the whole thing in a soap calculator just to be sure (I see that people often confuse onces for grams etc, make sure you also get the units right!).


Detailed notes
Sometimes things go wrong even though the recipe *should* work, sometimes things just don't come together as you expect.  If you take notes including times and temperatures, you work out what went wrong and what you can do differently next time.  People find that some essential oils, fragrance oils, and other ingredients will "accelerate" trace (the soap gets thick really quickly), so making a notes of which ingredients cause these problems will help you in future.  For example, when I first made salt soap I didn't know it would be so hard that I couldn't cut it after 12 hours.  Now I know to cut it after 4-6 hours.


Do your research
Whether you are following a recipe or trying out your own invention, its a good idea to do some research first (I would have found out that salt soap is too hard to cut!).  I think its worth reading a few blog posts to find out about a new soap ingredient before you use it, but also keep in mind that things might be different (especially when using natural ingredients), so you might get different results.  My favourite soap blogs for inspiration, ideas and advice are:

Lovely Greens

Soap Queen

and The Nerdy Farm Wife

In my book "Make your own natural soap", I have set out the ten tallow soap recipes as batch sheets, so you can easily work through the instructions.  You can then use a similar format when you develop your own recipes.  There is also plenty of space to write notes about the recipe as you go.  I write the date on the top of the sheet so I remember when I made the soap and I know when it will be ready to use.




Do you have any tips to avoid soaping mistakes?

Comments

  1. I too love soap making, though tend to only do it as the need arises. I went to get a block out just yesterday and noticed I was down to my final layer, so it will be on the list of jobs this weekend. I tend to also keep it very simple, using an olive oils/coconut oil blend and cut it into big blocks.

    Congratulations on your e-book! Thats great. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg